1. New SHARE Survey
2. SHARE sessions from Cheryl and Frank
3. CHARE Parmlib Class Reminder
1. New SHARE Survey
The SHARE MVS program is conducting a survey to determine the degree of exploitation of System z hardware and z/OS software enhancements, and is requesting your help. The SHARE MVS Program community is providing this survey to gather information that will help in planning sessions and presentations for future conferences. Our intention is to determine which z/OS enhancements have been exploited by the MVS community, and which need additional training or support through SHARE conferences or other offerings. All of the questions are optional. You may only change results until you exit the survey. But if you’ve completed just a portion of the survey, you can start a new one and simply bypass the questions you’ve already answered.
The first section refers to System z hardware, and the second refers to System z software (primarily z/OS). The results of the survey will be made available to SHARE members after it’s completed (August 1), and also presented at SHARE in Pittsburgh at session 15567:Exploiting z/OS – Tales From the MVS Survey (Friday at 9:30 am). Even if you aren’t a member of SHARE, you can register to access the materials.
This is a long survey and may require input from several people. There are four “Pages” – an introduction page, a Hardware section (about 7 pages if printed out), a Software section (about 7 pages if printed out), and a thank you page. We recommend that you print out the Hardware section and the Software section, use them to collect the information, and then enter the results all at once. You may save and return to the survey to resume it. We appreciate your time and effort!
If you have any problems or questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here is a link to the survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/MR59B5Q.
Thanks for helping us out!
2. SHARE Sessions from Cheryl and Frank
We’re starting to prepare for SHARE in Pittsburgh – August 3-11. We both hope to see you there. You can find us giving the following presentations (one each day):
- 15600 – Mon, 12:25 pm (bring your lunch with you) – z/OS Requirements: Influencing IBM Development – Cheryl and Steve Warren will be providing an update on z/OS requirements.
- 15836 – Tue, 3 pm – Why is the CPU Time for a Job so Variable? – Cheryl and I will be presenting this session that was updated from the last SHARE.
- 15602 – Wed, 1:30 pm – The Skinny on Coupling Thin Interrupts – I’ll be describing this great new facility for zBC12s and zEC12s that improve coupling facility perfor-mance.
- 16251 – Thu, 3 pm – Hot Tips from Cheryl and Frank – This is a newly-added vendor session that presents some of our favorite tips. We’ll also hold a drawing for a free DVD of the last 23 years of Cheryl Watson’s Tuning Letter.
- 15567 – Fri, 10 am – Exploiting z/OS – Tales from the MVS Survey – Cheryl and I will present the results from the survey we mentioned above.
There’s still time to register for SHARE. For more information, see www.share.org.
And if you’ll be at SHARE with your iPad or smartphone, be sure to check out the SHARE Mobile app at www.share.org/p/cm/ld/fid=460.
3. SHARE Parmlib Class
We are delighted to announce our first class for 2014. Based on your input to our education survey, the first class is going to focus on the changes to SYS1.PARMLIB in z/OS 1.13 and 2.1, from the perspective of the enhancements in those releases.
Just about every company today is looking for ways to drive more value from their investments and to reduce costs. And what better way is there to maximize your z/OS investment than to make sure that you are fully exploiting all its capabilities that are of value to your company. The objective of our class is to help you do just that.
And, in the popular vein of cost saving, we will be holding the class in the same conference center as the SHARE Summer 2014 conference, on the day before the conference starts – Sunday, August 3. So you can bring yourself up to date with the latest Parmlib changes, but with zero additional travel costs.
Another of our reasons for holding the class immediately before SHARE is to allow you to fine-tune your agenda for the week, so you can meet the experts on the new features that you are especially interested in. And what better way to work up a good thirst for the welcome event on Sunday evening than spending the day with your friends and peers, learning about new ways to bring value to your company?
You can get more information about the class content, as well as information about the enrollment process, at http://www.watsonwalker.com/SYS1.html. To celebrate our first class together, this class has a specially discounted price of $475. So not only do you save on travel costs, you also get to save on the normal class price.